Sunday, May 25, 2008

Norton to the rescue? Wow it actually did something useful

Hmm, for the first time in my life I'm actually glad that my Mom runs Norton on her PC.


She got an e-mail from the bank warning about repeating login failures on the account and that it was going to be suspended for T time unless she updated the account. I think that would have my heads anti-fraud warning bell ringing on it's own right but hey, I'm paranoid at heart >_>


The message had a dead give away (for me) that someone might be trying to fake it, you probably would have to be familiar with building such things or just a heavy web surfer to spot that one though. When she clicked it it redirected her to a fake page to login which Norton shouted FRAUD before harm could be done.


The address was an obvious fake once you see the real URL, but how many causal users even look at that I wonder? So maybe despite it's annoyance to people like me and those that just want to get stuff done, useful for watching over the uneducated.


She's currently going through a spell of FUD over security but I'm familiar enough with the possibilities and they ain't that bad thanks to Norton. The next best thing to actually educating users -- babysit with resource hogs :\


Now if only it could do something about her (greater then mine) paranoia, so I could get back to rewriting code lol.


Oh wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment