Friday, October 20, 2006

The day rolls on

Well I've finally gotton ntpd working the way I want it, I think. My laptop is showing Vectra as a peer in ntpq. As to SAL1600, windows can't nativly talk to ntpd on unix without a kick in the registry AFAIK. So instead of hacking apart my registry I've installed nettime after reading an article. It's an abandonded project but I'm lazy.

I installed nettime and set it up to start the service at boot and use my time serving machine Vectra. Since I run a firewall on Windows that is set to block any thing not matching a rule, I made one.

WARNING: low qaulity 1600x1200 Jpeg

I need to setup ntpd on Ubuntu and run a tcpdump in less I can find an equivulent for Windows XP. This fire wall rule will do for right now and I can edit it later if I find I need to.

Waiting on a full scale distclean of my ports collection on Vectra and a du after that. On the 15th Vectra dropped off the lan , was totally dead to the world in regards to the network. After work when I got back to the computer I unplugged the router for a short count of twenty sec then replugged it in. Five minutes later when I got back to my desk I powered Vectra up and she recived her DCHPOFFER from the router. Interestingly, a post I made about it on a forum I vist ocasionally the first reccomendation was what I was affriad it would be the ol'yank, wait, plug the router bit. Awhile after posting that it solved the issue the forum owner posted this:

"I should've elaborated my first answer when I said "reboot the router" unplugging it is the best way because it clears the excess voltage in its capacitors which causes invalid data in its memory therefore the router will not function properly! Good on you TerryP!"

I find this an interesting idea, I can see how excess voltage in the capacitors could be aproblem for it's memory (all 8MB of RAM and 2MB of flash memory of it). What I don't get is why it should be neccesary to flip a device on/off, why not design it to deal with it or some thing? Eh maybe I just don't know crap or it was made by a Windows fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment