Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Jurassic Unix ?

Ahh finally a little bit of rest. Been watching Jurassic Park one of my favorite movies you could say. Man it's been a long time since I have gotten to see it. I still remember when it came out like it was yesterday, my GOD Mother said I shouldn't see it because of the violence and gore or some thing (I didn't notice any). I couldn't have been older then 5 or 6 at the time. I don't really consider JP violent or any thing but then again movies like Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, and Aliens were all movies I grew up with. Yeah so what if I was a weird kid :-P


I've always loved Dinosaurs so I guess it's no wonder I love the Jurassic Park films, especially part one. It's a shame really, they took every possible precaution and I'm sure their must have been multiply redundant power supplies... But they only thing they failed to consider was betrayal from the inside.. Fat stooge couldn't even drive would a darn and brought down the parks systems with a command hidden within a system of over 2 million lines of code (that's big).

What shocked me, is I wondered when watching it tonight what kind of computers they were using, couldn't tell from the camera shots of the monitors. But towards the end when the girl Lex is trying to enable the door-locks while Grant and Ellie hold off the Raptor. When she sits at the computer:

"It's a UNIX system, I know this.."


So I guess it is probable that Jurassic Park was supposed to have been powered by Unix workstations, interestingly for some thing that started life in the 1970's Unix lives on in a number of incarnations today, including FreeBSD :-)


I remember thinking too, that the graphical file browser Lex uses in the movie is actually similar to a program I've seen before in the real world. The difference is, the real one looks a lot better graphically then the one in Jurassic Park but I doubt it has as many features as the movies FX hehe. But hey, the movie was made in the early 90's for a largely Computer unaware audience :\


Ahh, now to slither up some code for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment