Sunday, July 25, 2021


Been hearing bits and pieces for a while now, and anxiously wondering when we'd see a release. Sounds like the new Dune fil is due in October, and one can hope ^_^.

My introduction to Dune was the 1984 film. One late night, my mother invited me to watch it with her, but warned that you'll probably have to watch it twice to understand it. And of course, I did, lol. Some years later, she would also lend me her copy of the book, and House Atreides. I think Dune still holds my personal record for most pages read in a sitting, since I basically sat on my ass and inhaled about the first 100 pages--after reading the four appendices! I remember seeing the novel had appendices with information about its world, and just knowing that it would be my kind of book.

Oddly, ironically, or fated, the other night I started reading Dune again. It's been maybe eight or ten years since I last read it.

Since reading the novel as a kid, I've come to have a cautious view of anyone attempting to make a movie out of the story. It's just to big and multifaceted. The cluster-hells aside, the '84 film basically cut out 30 - 60 % of the novel, literally an entire cast of characters worth. But it still managed to tell the important pieces of the story, and is far from a short film. Much like the Lord of the Rings, I try to respect the fact that no one can watch a 12-hour long movie without taking multiple bathroom breaks unless you're wearing a still suit or diapers.

IHMO, unless you're prepared to make a film trilogy out of it I think Dune lends itself more to a miniseries than a theatrical film. So at best, I can hope to enjoy Villeneuve and cie's efforts. Sounds like he has the good sense to make it more than one movie, hopefully that pans out. The novel itself, as I recall: was not only followed by four appendices, but also divided the story into three "Books". Which is well reflective of how long a story Dune is, regardless of the publishing history that lead to it being so.

No comments:

Post a Comment