Thursday, August 21, 2008

I've been prepping my destop for a reformat, including taking backups and prepairing software for reinstallation.

After presenting the choice of, A/ either I finish this or B/ I'm not going to work tomorrow until _after_ it is done; has finally cut the "!@#$%ing go to bed" shoutings to a more subdued amount. I can't stand being told when to go to bed, not by someone that does not know my body the way I do, and has such disregard for the amount of shit I need to get done, plus:

If you're going to help make my life hell, I'm not gonna be obligated to listen too a damn thing you say.


I've got almost 5gb of files; mostly installers, on the way to my file server. Basically everything from Abiword to zip.exe is laid out and ready for installation. So with luck, I can reformat the piece of shit... Setup a quick dual boot, mount the backups and copy them over to a FAT32 partition; install my drivers, install SP3, install my software, and setup the system. I've also taken the liberty of making a few change: more development tools and TeX Live 2007 for the type setting environment. I usually try to avoid compiling anything from source under Windows, like the plague. In my opinion, it really is that much of a pain in the ass... I do however like the toolchains around for my own use.


Under unix based systems, I don't mind compiling from source as long as I'm given something *decent* to work with. Like something that actually builds on a standard system without mucking with it, rather then a piece of crap that is only easy to build on the developers Foo Linux machine lol.



I need to fetch my XP disks, mouse driver disk, and wifi driver disk. But all in all, it shouldn't be to bad to carry this out. Just that it will probably take 6-8 hours and over a dozen reboots.... Oh man, how I love FreeBSD -- a reboot typically means a new kernel to boot from. Much less then that, and I've never had to reboot my systems (with the exception of one sound driver that needs to be in loader.conf)



Tomorrow is likely to be another day of ... Hmm, I can't actually think of a word for it, that doesn't stretch into multi-word profanities. But at least I *should* get off work at a decent hour. Today, I ended up leaving around ~1600Q or so. I can't stand my life, but there isn't a lot I can do to change it.


Since I'm not about to keel over and die, and resulting to quite drastic measures is further then I'm willing to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment